WMCHealth PPS Cultural Competence and Health Literacy Training Course Now Available
Course title: Achieving Equitable Health Care Outcomes: Building a Health Literate and Culturally Competent Organization
The WMCHealth PPS is very excited to launch our first cultural competence and health literacy training course.
Course Description: This free e-learning course will increase your sensitivity to the cultural and linguistic needs of individuals you care for and provide a basic overview and strategies that will lessen the health literacy related burden so often placed on our patients and clients. The course will also review organizational strategies to improve operational effectiveness that will make it easier for patients and clients to access, navigate, and understand health information so they can be active participants in their care.
Course level: Awareness/Introductory
Who should complete: All WMCHealth PPS network partners and their staff, including union staff, PPS committee members, CRHI staff.
Course length: 40 – 45 minute module
Registration: WMCHealth PPS network partners interested in taking this course should email email@example.com for registration details. This is a free training course.
CULTURAL COMPETENCE AND HEALTH LITERACY GENERAL INFORMATION
(1) National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services in Health and Health Care: A Blueprint for Advancing and Sustaining CLAS Policy and Practice (2013)
The following national standards issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' (HHS) Office of Minority Health (OMH) relate to culturally and linguistically appropriate delivery of effective health care services for all people. These standards were proposed as a way to address inequities that exist in the provision of health services and to make these services more responsive to the individual needs of all patients/consumers.
(2) Improving Cultural Competence to Reduce Health Disparities for Priority Populations
(3) New York State Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) -Cultural and Linguistic Competence (Link)
(4) New York State OPWDD-General Resources to Assist in Improving the Quality of Services and Supports for Culturally Diverse Individuals and Families (Link)
(5) New York State OPWDD-Draft Guidelines for Cultural Competence (Link to PDF)
(6) Office of Mental Health-New York State: Cultural Competence Resources (Link)
(7) Office of Mental Health-New York State: Archived Copies of Cultural Competence Videos and Webinars (Link)
(8) Cultural Competence and HIV/AIDS Care: The Legacy of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program (Link)
(9) Decreasing Childhood Obesity by Increasing Cultural Competence
(10) Pride Center of the Capital Region (Link)
(11) Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit: This toolkit covers the steps that care providers must take when there is a likelihood that all patients may have difficulty nderstanding health information and access to care. These precautions simplify the communication process and help to confirm patient understanding of the care being delivered. Click here to learn more.
(12) Health Literacy: A Necessary Element for Achieving Health Equity
VIDEO: How Effective Healthcare Communication Contributes to Health Equity
CULTURAL COMPETENCE AND HEALTH LITERACY RESOURCES
Cultural Competence Resources
(1) A Physician's Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Care: Self-Directed Training Course for Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse and nurse practitioners. This e-learning program provides cultural competency learning tools that address racial and ethnic disparities in health. Click here to learn more.
(2) Office of Mental Health-New York State: Cultural Competence Assessment Tools (Link) | Resources (Link)
(3) Culturally Competent Nursing Care: A Cornerstone of Caring. E-learning program from HHS Office of Minority Health. Accredited for up to 9 continuing education credits, at no cost, for nurses and social workers. (Link)
(4) Promoting Healthy Choices and Community Changes: An E-learning Program for Promoters De Salud
(5) CAHPS Clinician & Group Surveys Instructions-Cultural Competence
(6) Advancing Cultural Competence in the Public Health and Healthcare Workforce: the first structural competence certificate program in the U.S.
Health Literacy Resources
(1) The Cultural and Linguistic Competence Assessment for Disability Organizations (CLCADO), Assessment Guide (Link)
(2) Office of Mental Health-New York State: Interpreter and Translator Services (Link)
(3) New York State OPWDD: Translated documents. (Link)
(4) HRSA-Culture, Language & Health Literacy Resources: Gender (Link)
(5) HRSA-Culture, Language & Health Literacy Resources: General (Link)
(6) HRSA-Culture, Language & Health Literacy Resources: Race Ethnicity (Link)
(7) HRSA-Culture, Language & Health Literacy Resources: Special Populations (Link)
(8) Effective Communication Tools for Healthcare Professionals. Online training course. (Link)
(9) Health Literacy Partners: Happenings (Link)
(10) Catskill Hudson Area Health Education Center-LGBT Resources
CULTURAL COMPETENCE AND HEALTH LITERACY CALENDAR
(1) Diversity calendar: New York State OPWDD. (Link)
VIDEO: The PA Fresh Food Financing Objective: Cultural Competence. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention